On-Campus Nursing Skills Labs
Experiential learning is an important aspect of creating practice-ready nurses, and our ABSN learning sites in Portland, OR, and St. Paul, MN, provide just that. In skills labs, you’ll use a variety of healthcare equipment and supplies within the lab setting to practice applying the nursing content you’re learning online in a realistic laboratory setting.
There, you will work alongside your instructors to gain nursing skills practice using task trainers for learning skills such as inserting IVs and conducting basic wound care, and human patient simulators that can simulate breath sounds, bowel sounds, and pulses. Controlled by your clinical instructors, these manikins can even react to the nursing care decisions you make and the interventions you perform.
Skills labs allow you to make and correct mistakes before working with actual patients. As a result, you can begin your clinical rotations having practiced and demonstrated basic competency in a safe and controlled environment where developing skills through practice is key.
ABSN skills labs at Concordia University allow you to:
- Apply basic skills such as checking vital signs and monitoring blood pressure.
- Practice health assessment, communication and complex skills in a controlled environment.
- Evaluate patient histories and medical orders and administer appropriate nursing interventions.
- Learn from mistakes and effectively correct them with the supervision of faculty.
- Experience situations that focus on teamwork and collaborative care.
Want to learn more about how Concordia’s Accelerated BSN blends online coursework, skills labs and clinical learning experiences, allowing you to graduate ready to sit for the NCLEX-RN® in 16 months? Call us today or fill out the form to have an admissions counselor contact you.